Friday, February 24, 2012

Far Western Tavern

Last night we drove the ten or so miles over to to the Far Western Tavern in the small farming community of Guadalupe .  We hadn’t made reservations but it was only around five in the evening so we didn’t anticipate a problem getting a table.  The dinning room was empty when we arrived and filled half way up shortly after.  Debbie ordered ribs and I ordered the steak special they call the Bullseye Steak. Its a large ribeye steak  that I had a year or so ago and thought it was the best steak I had ever eaten.  The meal started out with an antipasto plate. Our waiter informed us that they had hired a new executive chief about imagesix months ago and he had added some specials to the original menu. The specials were mostly steaks with sauces. 
We both ordered soup and it was delicious followed by garlic bread and beans. Deb’s ribs arrived and my steak.  It didn’t look like a rib eye and I questioned the waiter and he assured me it was.  When I took a bite it didn’t taste right, it was a little tough and stringy and was almost a rectangle. It wasn’t marbled at all and defiantly was not a rib eye and I told the waiter.  He told me the reason was that it was cut off the small end of the roast, but he would re-fire another one “if I wanted”. I did and the new steak was a rib eye, in flavor, texture and a more familiar round shape.   Today I got on the internet and and researched beef cuts.
I think what I was first served was a Chuck eye steak which is described by the Certified Angus Beef LLC as “a good low-cost  alternative to the ribeye, though slightly less flavorful and tender and is cut from the chuck eye roast.
I have not doubt that they tried to pass off a cheaper cut of meat on me.  I don’t know if it was the delay of the meal, but when the Bulleye arrived, it was a disappointment and nowhere near as good as the last time.
I have to say it was not anywhere near as good as our meal at Jocko’s and it was twice the price. Well now we know why Jocko’s is so crowded and we’ll just put up with the wait there. Defiantly won’t have to make a drive over to Guadalupe again. Far Western Tavern joins Alex’s BBQ as a used to be good.
We leaving Santa Maria Elks tomorrow morning and driving over to the Emerald Desert in Palm Desert where we’ll spend a week.

No comments:

About Us

The Normans are Debbie, Jim and Ty the cat. The Horizon is our Itasca Horizon Motorhome. We spend the summers in cool northern Washington and travel through the warm south during the winter. We spend time in the spring and fall at our home in northern California as we pass by by.

Visited States

Visited States