Monday, June 13, 2011

Headed Towards Alaska

Well, we’ll be stopping short however, Port Susan, WA to be exact.  Please excuse the previous Monday posts. Obviously they all didn’t happen on Monday but were just a quick and brief recap of our time at home. 

This is actually what happen Monday.  We planned to leave around 4pm. It looked like for the first time in years, not only were we going to be on time, but actually  early! We would have been a half hour or so early but when Debbie pushed the toggle switch to bring in the bedroom slide, the slide only moved in about a foot then died. Oh no! Remember we just had the hydraulic pump and motor replaced on our way back home from Port Susan last year. You can see the whole gory details of that adventure if you look back in the blog at the end of October 2010 beginning HERE

I tried the control just in case Debbie had a “senior moment” and wasn’t pressing the toggle switch correctly. Darn I couldn’t make it work either. I mean either in or back out. I tried the other two slides and there was no response. Well we were ready to leave but with three slides out we were about 15 feet wide and my gate is only 12 wide.  Well obliviously it had to be fixed onsite.  I thought I would take a look at it and see if maybe it was something I could see. I got the tools out of the motorhome and opened up the stairs where access to the hydraulic system is. The access is more for a very small, thin, double jointed person but I managed to peer in. I won’t bore you with a more prolonged account, but unexpectedly, I found one of the heavy power cables to the motor was loose and after it was tightened the slides worked fine.

Finally on our way and its 4pm, right on time!  Three hours on I5 and we arrived at the Elks club in Redding where we planned to spend the night. We found a site and walked up to the bar to check in.  We decided to have a drink. We had a second because it was free. I don’t remember too much after that until the next morning.

P1010968copy

The next morning sun was out and it was already warm in the sun at 8am. Expected to reach the high 90s. Glad we’re traveling north to the cooler climes. The sites are close together here but they have 50amp and water.

A very nice trail runs behind the lodge and along the river. In spite of a slight headache I had to check it out.

P1010971copy

The trail runs right along the river. As I walked along I came upon a couple of dogs playing in the river. Brrrr it looks cold. It actually was cold the stupid golden lab came running over to me and shook himself right up against me.

P1010973copy

The is a view of the trail. If it wasn’t going to be so hot and my brain ache, I would have had to get out the bikes.  I don’t know if it is ever not hot in Redding but I am going to have to find out and try to make it back.

P1010976copy

This is a gate to the real of the Elk’s property right off the trail.

P1010978copy

Around 10:30 or so, we’ll move on, heading up to our favorite RV Resort, 7Feathers. Around a three hour drive. We’ll fill up with diesel and spend the night.

No comments:

About Us

The Normans are Debbie, Jim and Ty the cat. The Horizon is our Itasca Horizon Motorhome. We spend the summers in cool northern Washington and travel through the warm south during the winter. We spend time in the spring and fall at our home in northern California as we pass by by.

Visited States

Visited States