Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20, 2016 - On to Port Susan

Monday - Yakima to Port Susan

This morning we headed out to our lots in Port Susan and our home for the summer.

We arrived around 3pm, parked the Horizon and hooked up the utilities.


One of  the first tasks on the list is to open up the sheds and bring out the tables, grass rugs, popup gazebo, etc.
Unfortunately, over the winter the padlocks became corroded and I couldn't get the key in.  As much as I tried, it would only go in about half way.  I. tried WD-40 and tapping the key in with a hammer but the key would not go all the way into the lock.
Plan B. I decided to cut the lock off and I tried to find someone with bolt cutters I could borrow but nobody had any.  Plan C. rent bolt cutters. Finding a tool rental then one that had bolt cutters was a problem. Finally found them twenty miles away in Arlington. An hour later I carefully placed the bolt cutter on the lock a squeeze away.  I applied as much pressure as I could and they only cut into the lock an eight of an inch or so. I set down the bolt cutters and discovered a half moon in the cutting blade but the lock was unscathed. Photo above.
I was afraid I would have to pay for the damage of three (slow learner) half moon in the cutting edges but there was no charge.
Plan D. next attempt. I had a used cut-off wheel for an electric drill and decided to give it a try. I didn't hold much hope. I last used the wheel to cut off a small master padlock. I started with a five inch wheel and an hour later when it cut through. Now it was less than two inches and out of round. Success. To my surprise it cut through both locks like butter in less than ten minutes, and these were 3/8 inch diameter!





No comments:

About Us

The Normans are Debbie, Jim and Ty the cat. The Horizon is our Itasca Horizon Motorhome. We spend the summers in cool northern Washington and travel through the warm south during the winter. We spend time in the spring and fall at our home in northern California as we pass by by.

Visited States

Visited States